HomeAbout SEINHistory of SEIN

A long history: SEIN then and now

The Christian Society for Nursing the Sufferers of the Falling Sickness was established in 1882 in Haarlem. A few years later the facility ‘Bethesda Sarepta’ was opened, aimed at female patients. Since there was also a need for a similar facility for men, the Society bought the eight hectare grounds of 'Meer & Bosch' in Heemstede. 

'De Cruquiushoeve' was opened in the period between 1965 and 1970. This meant the end of the facility for women with epilepsy in ‘Bethesda Sarepta’. From then on, all patients – both male and female – either went to 'Meer & Bosch' or 'De Cruquiushoeve'.

Because there was also a need for SEIN’s services in the North and East of the country, the clinic 'Heemstaete' was opened in Zwolle in 1999. In 2008, SEIN opened the residential facility 'Fonteinkruid' in Zwolle, suitable for 40 residents. 

In 2010, new build was realised on the grounds of 'De Cruquiushoeve' and 'Meer & Bosch' for 280 residents. The new Queen Emma Clinic at 'Meer & Bosch' was opened in 2014.